New Site and Course Opening January 2017
Part Three of the Additional Qualification Courses for Guidance and Career Education is focused on the counsellor as a school leader and agent of change within the educational environment.
You will be asked to review and examine a variety of materials, resources and documents, as well as instructional techniques, ideas and strategies that are designed to enhance and guide your own growth as a guidance counsellor-teacher. These tools will be made available inside the course website and maybe used to inform your practice.
Throughout this course we will be practicing counselling skills and Brief Therapy, in our online classroom and you will have the opportunity to talk to guidance counsellor – teachers from across the province. An important aspect of this interaction is a chance to learn from your colleagues in guidance as well as access OSCA-made materials to enhance your learning.
As in all of the OSCA AQ courses, the underlying focus of our practice is on the complexity of diversity (beyond ethnicity and race).
In addition to discussions around Ethical Guidelines, professional practice, collaborative inquiry and instructional strategies for guidance curriculum, we will examine the comprehensive guidance program and all that it entails. This will inform your practice and development as a guidance leading learner. This course is developed for teachers, guidance counsellors and other educators who have a deep understanding of pedagogy, learning, and instruction.
This AQ course is written by guidance counsellors for guidance counsellors.
You must have completed Guidance and Career Education Parts I and II.
You must download and duly complete, sign and return OSCA's Specialist Statement of Experience.
Brief Counseling That Works (2nd Edition): A Solution-focused Approach for School Counselors & Administrators 2005 by Sklare (order when registering).
OSCA's Ethical Guidelines (free when you register).
$650, Text - $45 (includes shipping)
Course Refund Protocol: 100% End of week 1, 75% During week 2, 50% to midpoint of course, No Refund after midpoint of course. Refunds subject to $25 administration Fee.
After we receive and process your registration:
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail with your receipt
- Your textbook (if applicable - though mandatory) will be shipped to you via Purolator
- You will receive a link to registered as an OSCA AQ member
- You will and receive the Ethical Guidelines for Ontario School Counsellors for free
- You will also want to complete your profile in full to take advantage of all OSCA's publications including our quarterly professional magazine, OSCA Today, our twice weekly OSCAnews eblast and our quarterly OSCAction bulletin
- You will also have immediate access to a wealth of guidance specific resources
- You will also have the opportunity to attend OSCA conferences and events at a preferred rate
- Your instructor will contact you with a brief introduction to the course and your login instructions for the online sessions
- Your instructor will be available before the course starts for any questions you may have
As with all Additional Qualification Courses, the Ontario College of Teachers regulates the content, delivery and number of hours that must be dedicated to each course. Upon successful completion of a course your results will be uploaded to the OCT database. Although the Ontario College of Teachers regulates the course, you do not have to be a certified teacher to enrol in our additional qualifications offerings - however, you must understand that your results will not be sent to the OCT, nor will they be applied in the future if you happen to complete your teaching qualifications and become an OCT member. You will have to retake the course at that time if you wish to have it appear on your OCT record - no exceptions.